COVID-19 Update 2020: To limit the coronavirus spread, attractions may be closed, have partial closures, or request that guests adhere to their safety guidelines.
Don’t let the cloudy skies get you down! There are so many fun things to do on the Outer Banks when it rains. We’ve compiled a thoughtful list of our favorite indoor activities that you and your family will love not only when it’s rainy, but also when you need a break from the heat! Read on for some of our favorite suggestions. Then, be sure to check out our complimentary Vacation Guide for even more fun-filled adventures to include in your OBX itinerary!
Do you need help planning the ultimate family vacation?
5 of the Best Things to Do on the Outer Banks When It Rains
There’s no need to let the rain wash away your plans for the day. There are plenty of fun indoor activities to keep you entertained while you wait for the sun to shine again!
1. Get Crafty & Take a Class
- Gather all the beads you need for making jewelry at Cloud Nine
- Take arts and crafts classes at one of the many local studios
- Pick up all your knitting necessities at Knitting Addiction or Yarn & More
- Host a “painting party” for the kids at Local Color
2. Check out Local Arts & Theater
- Peruse local art galleries and find the most unique souvenirs to bring home
- Get your laugh on at the Comedy Club of the Outer Banks
- See a movie at the historic, Pioneer Movie Theatre
3. Learn About History and Science
- Visit the living history site, Island Farm, on Roanoke Island
- Discover fish, sharks and more at North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island
- Learn about local wildlife and ecology at the Outer Banks Center for Wildlife Education
- Let your children (and their imaginations) run wild at Children @ Play Museum
- Check out Whalehead Corolla, on the National Register of Historic Places
4. Play Games With the Kids
- Go bowling at the OBX Bowling Center in Nags Head
- Play laser tag at Gearworks
- Grab a slice and play a few games at Angelo’s Pizza Arcade
5. Go Shopping for Something Unique
- Explore Timbuck II Shopping Village
- Pick up all the fishing gear you’ll need at Corolla Bait & Tackle
- Get your beachy souvenirs at Farmer’s Daughter
- Find unique goods and wares at Scarborough Lane Shoppes
Stay in Your Dream Beach Vacation Home!
Paramount Destinations vacation rentals adorn the coast and make the perfect home away from home for your dream family vacation. Regardless of whether you stay in Corolla, Duck, Southern Shores, or Nags Head, you can expect our properties to meet your standards! Enjoy the proximity to some of the best restaurants, breweries, and other things to do when it rains on the Outer Banks. Another benefit is that we offer various Paramount Perks that allow our guests to save money on some of our favorite local attractions. Start planning the family vacation of a lifetime today!