A Local’s Guide to the Best Things to Do in the Outer Banks
Situated along the Atlantic coast of the United States, there’s a myriad of things to do on the Outer Banks, such as embarking on thrilling outdoor adventures, relaxing near serene oceanic landscapes, and diving into a diverse culinary scene. With everything from kid-friendly excitement to an enticing nightlife for adults, there are countless possibilities to make lifelong memories. Celebrate with locals at some of the best annual events and festivals or spend your days soaking in the warm rays on the beach. It’s the perfect place to escape your everyday life and enjoy time with your family and friends. Our local insight provides the best suggestions for your ultimate OBX vacation!
The OBX Culinary Scene
Enjoy many types of cuisine from Southern Shores and Kitty Hawk all the way up to Duck and Corolla. Delight in an array of locally owned eating establishments that range from lively and family friendly to quiet and refined dining experiences. Delight in the Outer Banks’ culinary scene and try succulent seafood dishes, delicious North Carolina BBQ, and more. From October to February, many restaurants have reduced hours during the off-season, so be sure to call before you make your plans!
- Treat the whole family to a traditional seafood boil at the Outer Banks Boil Company
- Taste some of the best locally sourced fare at the Urban Kitchen
- Satiate your Italian cravings at La Dolce Vita
- Devour a heaping serving of tasty, NC-style BBQ at Corolla Village Barbecue
- Enjoy comfort food at it’s finest at Uncle Ike’s Sandbar & Grill
- Need to curb your sweet tooth? Pick up some decadent pastries at Duck Donuts
- Perfect for a romantic evening, Paper Canoe serves a fine-dining experience.
- Indulge in a plate of juicy scallops or sticky ribs at the Blue Point
- Cravings has just what you need to appease your appetite.
- Roadside Bar & Grill is the perfect hang out spot where you can grab delicious bites
Southern Shores and Kitty Hawks Cuisine
- Try the authentic, simple, and delightful barbecue at High Cotton NC BBQ
- Do yourself a favor and order the best burger on the Outer Banks at Art’s Place
- Southern Shores Pizza & Deli delivery makes the kids happy every time
- From lobster and mussels to tasty ribs and burgers, Steamers feeds the whole family
North Carolina's Outer Banks offers a variety of fun outdoor adventures to suit anyone in your family. Choose a thrilling adventure such as parasailing, riding a Jet Ski or learning how to surf, or test your physical abilities at the new ropes course in Corolla! Others may enjoy a gentle kayak tour paddled on a coastal estuary at sunset. One of the highlights of visiting OBX is the chance to see wild horses on the beach. Whatever your taste, the adventure you choose will enrich your vacation experience even more!
Pro Tip: Our Paramount Perks program offers discounts on many OBX adventures such as kayaking, flying kites, visiting the waterpark, and more!
Wind Sports, Water Sports, and Kayak Tours
- Kayak to Monkey Island in the Currituck Sound
- Parasail over the Atlantic and soak in the best views of the Outer Banks
- Cut through the waves on a Jet Ski or paddle boat
- Rent a kite and watch the kids’ faces light up as they soar through the sky
Surfing & Stand Up Paddleboarding
- Take private surfing lessons with local surf experts and catch some waves
- Balance your weight on a stand up paddle board
- Rent boogie boards, skim boards, surfboards, and more
Mini Golf & Adventure Parks
- Challenge the whole family to a game of mini-golf
- See who crosses the finish line first in a Go-Kart race
- Collide with friends and families in bumper cars
- Collect tickets while playing arcade games and ski ball
Indoor Attractions for When It’s Raining
Don’t let the weather rain on your parade! Take a break from the beach and check out some of the indoor activities that provide entertainment for the whole family. Learn about local history at a museum or peruse an art gallery for a unique souvenir to bring home. Whether you’re looking to take a fun art class, catch a new flick at a historic theater, or take the kids to the aquarium, you’ll find plenty of things to do in the Outer Banks.
Crafts and Classes
History and Science
Events & Festivals
From pirate adventures to food tours, the Outer Banks is home to a great variety unique things to do. Celebrate with the locals at some of the best events and festivals! Foodies will enjoy various culinary-centric events. There are music festivals that range from rock to jazz and bluegrass if you prefer. Art festivals are great places for family-friendly activities or wine-tastings for adults to sample offerings from area vineyards. Active-minded vacationers can find competitive challenges and marathons that occur throughout the year to stay in shape and have lots of fun in the process.
- Enjoy a romantic evening dinner, 1920’s hunting club-style, for an Epicurean Hunt Evening at Whalehead & Candlelight Tour
- Sample delicious, Cajun cuisine at the Cajun Occasion at Sanctuary Vineyards
Your Vacation Awaits at a Paramount Destinations Vacation Home
When you book your vacation home through Paramount Destinations, you can expect top-notch amenities, stunning locations, and memorable things to do in the Outer Banks. Our vacation rentals range from beach-front properties, gated-community homes, and houses with Sound views. Allow us to make your dream vacation a reality and book your next big getaway with us!